SOAR: A camp for Adults with Disabilities
Beginning in 2017, Camp Shalom will be offering the opportunity for adults with disabilities to “Soar” as they challenge themselves to maximize their potential. There will a 6-day/5-night session available.
Several adjustments will be made for this camp session. The staff-to-camper ratio will be much smaller and the number of activities each day will be reduced. Otherwise it will be camp as usual. Campers will have the opportunity to experience new and exciting things and learn more about themselves.
Campers will sleep in cabins, go canoeing, climb a rock wall, do the zip-line, archery, and participate in many of the other activities that other campers do.
Most importantly, they will be accompanied by the incredible staff members at Camp Shalom who will keep them safe and make sure they have fun.
Health and Wellness
- HYGIENE: Camp Shalom asks that all campers be able to care of their own hygienic needs.
- MEDICATIONS: Camper medications must be prepared in a multi-dose or medication cassette. Prepackaged medications must have a separate compartment for each day and time they are to be administered.
- All campers must have a Health History completed as part of the online registration process.
- Camp Shalom is an alcohol, drug, and tobacco-free facility.
- An individual must be medically stable and must not be a safety risk to self or others (behaviorally, sexually, or physically) in order to attend Camp Shalom.
- Camp Shalom reserves the right to determine an individual’s ability to attend camp or camper events.
- DIETARY CONCERNS: Camp Shalom can accommodate most dietary needs.
- SKILLED NURSING: Camp Shalom does not have skilled nursing on-site. However, medical services are nearby should the need arise. Medications are dispensed by the Healthcare Coordinator who is certified as a Medications Manager.
- 2017 SESSION DATE: June 4-9
- Cost: $325
- CHECK-IN: At camp, check in is from 2:00PM 'till 4:00PM the first day of camp.
- PICK-UP: Pick-up is Friday at 11:30AM at our outdoor stage, where we will have the closing ceremony.
- WAIVER PROGRAMS: Camp Shalom does not accept waivers at this time.
- TRANSPORTATION: Camp Shalom will provide bus transportation to Maquoketa from HDC. Campers need to have return transportation provided.
TO REGISTER: You can register online or call the Camp Shalom office at 563-323-2790 for assistance.